Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day 1

I got to Christine's house around 7, after being dropped off by the sweetest taxi driver in the history of the world.  I got into bed, chit chatted with her for a little while and then took a nap.  As we were getting ready to leave for the south, where her family lives, I was introduced to her roommate, a ridiculously sweet old lady.  She gave us oranges and I ate mine right away.  I later found out that they were supposed to be for the road, but I don't think she minded too much.  It was pretty juicy and sweet, but I've never been one to get too excited about oranges, ya know.

We packed up our things and left for the train station, first stopping in the mall to visit Christine's friend who works in the most delicious doughnut shop ever, in the food court of the mall.  When we walked into the mall, all the workers we walked past bowed and said "welcome" in Mandarin.  I didn't know how to respond, but luckily we only passed four people before we got to the elevator.  Christine's friend who was working is Christine's roommate's granddaughter.  She was really sweet and hooked us up with some free doughnuts.  Now, a lot of you out there know that I'm not a very picky eater, the three things I generally don't eat are 1) lettuce in burritos 2) pancakes and 3) doughnuts.  However, I came into this trip saying as far as  food goes, I'm willing to try everything with as open of a mind as possible.  So we bought six doughnuts, her friend hooking us up with a couple free ones, and I got a cappuccino and Christine got matcha milk.  We didn't eat all the doughnuts right away, but the ones we tried were really good!!  Much lighter than the ones we have at home.  Not so overly glazed.  They were spongy, with the same consistency through and through.  I tried a chocolate one, a "classic" one and a strawberry one.  Apparently, strawberries are in season, so this doughnut had strawberry filling, strawberry glaze and dried strawberries on top. So good.  The cappuccino was just like cappuccinos everywhere else- milk and espresso.


Then we went to another part of the food court and got this beef teriyaki "sandwich," with rice patties for the bread.  We were both pretty stuffed from the doughnuts, so we saved it for the train ride.  The bullet train took us from Taipei to Tainan in less than two hours, but we got hungry enough to eat it.  And it was so yummy!  We also had another orange.  Anyway, I wonder where we can get that style rice bread back home.  There must be someplace...

We were greeted at the train station by two of Christine's cousins, one of their 2 1/2 year old sons and her aunt.  Once in the car, our first stop was at a bubble milk tea stand.  Unfortunately, this first stand was all out of the bubbles.  But the second stand did not disappoint.  All I have to say about that is quickly, eat your heart out. So much better than that über-sweet stuff we settle for back home (sigh.)

When we got to Christine's aunt's place, I was greeted with teriyaki beef jerky (more tender than what I remember from back home) roasted chestnuts (just like momma makes em) and mountain apple, guava, and this other fruit that kinda tasted like a mix between an apple and a pear.  We had our first home-cooked meal of the trip, and it was quite extravagant.  There was fish with asparagus, dried fish, seitan w/mushrooms and bamboo, pork, fish cakes, tofu skin and duck.  Everything was soooo good, especially the duck and seitan.  It was a kinda special meal because of the new year.


Then we took a nap and went to a night market.  It was kinda like a mix of a county fair and a flea market, only way better.  Christine bought some gloves, but (surprise surprise) we were mostly there to try the food.  First we had these yucca/tarot fried balls (so puffy and delicious.) Then Christine tried to get me to try this kinda spicy kinda sweet fried chicken.  When I reluctantly agreed to try a piece, telling her I wasn't hungry AT ALL, she laughed and said "sorry hun, but that's gonna happen!!"  Next we had yucca covered in molasses, one of Christine's favorite treats.  We then passed this stand with really pretty sweet-shish-kabab looking things.  She bought me the one that is the "most typical," and I ate one piece and had my first unpleasant food experience of the trip!  Turns out it was tomatoes coated in caramel. I threw the rest of the stick away.  We spent the rest of the evening people watching and releasing the fish we had won in one of the games.  Went home and passed out.  A very successful first day in Taiwan :)

No comments:

Post a Comment