Sunday, February 13, 2011

Hi Guys!

Hi guys! Long time no see!
I'm am currently writing you from my spiffy hotel room in Yokahama, birth-city of the late Opa Dieter.  I'm staying here with Kirtana for a night before changing my resting spot to the extremely close Tokyo.  While Kirtana showers I'll give a quick update on all the delicious Japanese food I've been eating since I got here last Wednesday.
First stop: Hiroshima
Dinner: Okonomiyaki.  After a near disaster where I left my Japanese Rail Pass (equivalent to Japan's Eurail pass) and passport on the train and was almost forced to "come back tomorrow morning" to sort it out due to a significant language barrier, we checked into our hostel in Hiroshima and asked our angelic hostess where we should grab dinner.  She informed us that okonomiyaki, a noodle, veggies, meat and egg dish, is a must have while in Hiroshima, and recommended a nearby restaurant to try it.  We did, and it was (relatively) cheap and delicious, and by the time we got back to the hostel the men at the train station had called to say they had found my lost items and I could pick them up at the Hiroshima train station anytime after 6am tomorrow.
The next day's breakfast was a bento box from a kiosk at the train station.  It's so cool to be here and see the difference in the food culture!  Anyway, I forgot to take a picture of it but I remember it included rice with some seaweed wrapped around it and a variety of pickled vegetables.
We grabbed lunch after visiting the main tourist sights, all concentrated around the Peace Park.  After a tearful visit to the Peace Memorial Museum I got an AMAZING lunch.  I wish I remembered what it was called, because I want to find it in the United States.  There were cold ramen noodles with this amazing spicy meat/peanut sauce, with an egg and seaweed and bean sprouts on top and then you stir it all together and eat it and it makes your life complete/cheers you up after witnessing extensive documentation of one of the darkest moments in contemporary human history.

Ok my Koala Bear and I are about to grab dinner but I'll write more later!!

No comments:

Post a Comment