Saturday, February 19, 2011

Last hours, last post

Dear blog,

I am writing you from the mattress on Christine's floor, what she has come to call her "bed" over the past three weeks.

I'm all packed and ready to come home.  In less than two hours we'll be calling a cab and heading off to the airport and I'll be back in a country where I can read the menus, ask the servers for recommendations, and totally understand what they're saying!

We spent the past three days celebrating Christine's birthday.  The 18th we stuffed ourselves ridiculously silly with a salad, a french gallette and crepe, topped off with an iced rose latte.  That was a pretty dumb move, because we rolled out of there at three and had birthday dinner reservations at 630, which of course we were not hungry for.   The reservations were at a restaurant that specializes in tonkatsu- super deep fried Japanese pork cutlet.  I got a small plate of it, and of course, it being Chrisinte's birthday and all, it was amazing.

Yesterday's lunch was all you can eat sushi with some more "ice" stuff for desert.  I liked this ice dish better than the other two- it tasted like snow which made me happy and nostalgic.

Today's lunch was my last traditional Taiwanese style meal for what will probably be a very long time.  There was silken tofu with thousand year old egg, those little dumplings that reminded me of potstickers, and noodles with sesame sauce.

Oh man.  Time to relax and mentally prepare for the journey ahead.  See you soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment